Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What services does the Student Disability Resources Office provide?

The Student Disability Resources Office (SDR) coordinates an array of services to provide qualified students with access to ISU courses, services, programs, activities, or facilities. Qualified students with disabilities will complete Student Academic Accommodation Request forms (SAARs) after providing appropriate documentation and meeting with Student Disability Resources staff. SDR staff assists in coordinating or providing reasonable accommodations and support for qualified students with various disabilities--please check SDR website for more information regarding our services and related information.

Why does the University require documentation?

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 ensure "otherwise qualified" students receive equal opportunity to participate in the educational experience. Current documentation is needed to verify the presence of a covered disability and its impact for eligibility purposes. It also provides useful information for SDR staff to consider while determining and coordinating appropriate academic accommodations. Additional related information regarding this topic is available online at the US Department of Education - Office of Civil Rights.

What are Reasonable Accommodations?

Reasonable Accommodations (sometimes called "academic adjustments") are a modification or adjustment to a course, service, program, activity, or facility that enables a qualified student with a disability to have an equal opportunity to participate or to enjoy the benefits and privileges as are available to a similarly-situated student without a disability.

Is there a cost for Reasonable Accommodations?

If an adjustment is deemed to be a reasonable accommodation, the University is responsible for providing those adjustments at no cost to qualified students registered with Student Disability Resources. If students desire to use personal services or to make other adjustments, the student may be responsible for the cost.

What if a student needs additional medical support?

We encourage students with disabilities to work closely with their existing healthcare providers to ensure smooth transition to college and to make arrangements for local healthcare should it become necessary. ISU students can see qualified medical professionals at the Theilen Student Health Center. The University is not responsible for locating or providing personal healthcare or medical advice. Student Disability Resources staff can assist with emergency referrals to area medical professionals.

What will I need to be able to do to be successful in school?

While transition to college can be intimidating, students with disabilities should use their accommodations to provide equal access to the learning experience. Students should expect to be responsible for maintaining their own schedule and attendance, develop/utilize effective organizational and time management strategies, and use good communication skills with other students, faculty and staff. Students with disabilities are encouraged to work closely with Student Disability Resources and other campus resources to promote satisfactory academic progress.

What other resources or services are available to help me succeed at ISU?

All students are encouraged to utilize academic support or services.

Who will help me monitor my academic progress?

Students requesting academic accommodations must meet with SDR staff every semester to complete SAAR forms and discuss their status. Some students meet with SDR staff on a more frequent basis as a means of support. Should a student decide not to meet with the SDR staff on a regular basis, no follow-up will take place. Departmental Academic Advisors are responsible for working with students related to selecting courses, meeting program requirements, etc.

Can my parents request information from Student Disability Resources regarding my academic status or medical diagnosis?

SDR staff may not provide information to the parent concerning a student's academic progress, visits to the SDR office, or the use of accommodations without the written permission of the student (see FERPA for more information). Students who wish this information to be made available to their parents will need to complete a Release of Information (PDF) form and advise SDR staff of this permission.