Student Academic Accommodation Grievances
This grievance process shall apply to situations where a student has followed the established procedures, as identified on the Student Disability Resources web page or by Student Disability Resources staff, to request accommodations on the basis of a disability, either through an individual faculty member, administrator, or Student Disability Resources staff, and the request has been denied or otherwise not provided. Similarly, a faculty member may use this process to further pursue any adverse decision arising out of the grievance process. All other student academic grievances shall follow the student academic grievance process as outlined in the Iowa State University Catalog. All other grievances related to disability or discrimination, other than the provision of accommodations, shall follow the procedures set forth by the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity.
When considering a grievance, the reviewer may consider issues such as but not limited to whether adequate documentation was provided, whether the student's documentation supports a determination of eligibility, whether requested accommodations were reasonable, whether requested accommodations constituted a substantial modification of curriculum, or whether the student, faculty, and/or Student Disability Resources staff followed appropriate procedures, including timeliness for requests and responses.
- When the student learns of the problem or adverse decision related to an accommodation or eligibility for accommodation, the student shall contact the Director of Student Disability Resources within 2 business days to discuss possible resolution. The Director shall have a maximum of 5 business days to resolve the matter informally.
- If an informal resolution is not reached within 5 business days the Director shall notify the student and faculty member (verbally or in writing) of that outcome. The previous decision of Student Disability Resources, the faculty member, or administrator shall stand unless a formal grievance is requested.
- The student or faculty member initiates a formal grievance by submitting a written grievance to the Dean of Students within 2 business days of receipt of notice of the failure of informal resolution from the Director. The grievance shall include the basis for the review, the specific evidence and documentation supporting the grievance, and the resolution desired.
- The Dean of Students shall review the relevant written materials and shall interview, as necessary under the circumstances, the student, Student Disability Resources staff familiar with the case, the faculty member involved, the faculty member's chair, the Disability Liaison, and any other person deemed relevant to the grievance.
- The Dean of Students shall make his or her decision within 5 business days of receiving the grievance and shall distribute a written decision to the affected parties.
- Within 3 business days of receiving the Dean of Student's decision, the student or faculty member may appeal that decision to the Vice President for Student Affairs. The Vice President or designee shall review the relevant written materials and may interview, as necessary under the circumstances, the student, Student Disability Resources staff familiar with the case, the faculty member involved, the faculty member's chair, the Dean of Students, the Disability Liaison, and any other person deemed relevant to the grievance. The Vice President or designee shall consult with the Provost or designee prior to making his or her decision.
- The Vice President or designee shall make his or her decision within 5 business days of receiving the grievance and shall distribute a written decision to the affected parties. The decision of the Vice President or designee shall be the final decision of the University.