- About SDR
- Contact Information
- Disability Awareness Week
- Distance Education
- Exam Accommodations Center (EAC)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Grievance Processes
- Instructor Resources
- New Students
- General Resources
- Temporary Health Conditions
Procedures for Implementing Academic Accommodations
Information for Instructors
You are being asked to provide academic accommodations for a student in your class who has a documented disability on file with Student Disability Resources (SDR). After a complete review of documentation and a meeting with the student, SDR staff has completed a thorough review of pertinent documentation and determined that the accommodations listed on the Student Accommodation "Notification Letter" (NL) are necessary and appropriate based on the student’s abilities and/or limitations. With this in mind, the procedure for implementing this process is as follows:
1. Instructors shall review the "Notification Letter" with the student and privately discuss ways to provide each accommodation indicated. Be sure to ask any questions at the time to ensure mutual understanding and to establish a good working relationship. If either you or the student feels that additional accommodations are needed beyond what is listed on the form, it is the responsibility of the student to contact SDR at which time SDR staff will determine how to proceed related to delivery of the indicated accommodations.
2. In most cases, Instructors should review the NL, sign/date the Notification Letter, and Instructors should retain a copy for their records. The student will retain a second copy of the NL as well. Signed NLs are an agreement to provide the indicated accommodations.
3. Instructors should contact the disability liaison in their department and/or an SDR staff member within 48 hours of reviewing the NL if they have concerns that any of indicated accommodations may alter course requirements or otherwise compromise the integrity of the course, Departmental Disability Liaisons are listed at: http://www.sdr.dso.iastate.edu/staff/deptliaisons.html.
4. Instructors should contact Student Disability Resources staff at 294-7220 or at email@example.com within 48 hours if they have questions/concerns or need assistance in providing the indicated accommodations.
Please note: The University is legally required to provide reasonable accommodations to students with disabilities unless an accommodation will fundamentally alter the course. We believe it is effective and beneficial when University personnel work together to provide accommodations allowing students equal access to all services the University provides. Like all educational records, Instructors must be mindful of confidentiality and assure that information relating to disability accommodations is not disclosed to third parties, including other students. Thank you very much for your assistance in this process.